Sunday, April 5, 2009

CLEARING THE FOREST

This poem is originally composed in an indigenous language of India called Bhili by Mahipal Bhuriya a tribal poet or Adivasi or indigenous himself and a tribal human rights activist in India. It is based on the environmental issues relating to deforestation that is taking place rapidly in the land of indigenous or Adivasi peoples in India by the non tribals. After the clearing of the indigenous peoples forests the blames are normally put on the tribals. The poem is sung by the Bhils of Jhabua (MP). The poem's folk tune is also an indigenous one.

Mr. Minister,
Clearing the forest
You turned my mountain naked
Why didn't you come to this mountain...?
If you came yourself to my mountain
Would see the hopelss sight
My mountain weeps standing
Monkies of the mountain have gone afar
And no rains ever come now on it
No monsoon clouds fly that side anymore
No vegetable creepers of Kakoda
And bhabhadi grows on the slopes any more
And hania too
No more beautiful Musli herb
Alas no children come to the mountain
Mr. Minister,
My mountain is bold totally
Soon you come
And see my mountain
Seeing the mountain
My heart burns within me
Will ever this mountain
Be green any more.....?

Web 2.0 By Black Soft

No comments:

Post a Comment